Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Level One

Two weeks ago I said that it finally felt like baseball season, as the Celtics were done and the Bruins were battling with Tampa Bay to see who would play for Lord Stanley's Cup (haha, is that even right?). I was 100% wrong. Boston is alive with the sounds of cross-checks. No, this isn't going to be a critique of the Bruins putrid power play or the insane risk-taking of Timmy Thomas. It's more a congratulatory, "welcome to the party". The city of Boston has done a lot of celebrating in the last 10 years and the Bruins have been on the sidelines watching and they've certainly arrived. As someone who could care less about the sport of hockey, this postseason has been incredible. They've kept my attention, which isn't easy to do. I've found myself actually talking about hockey and it wasn't in a sarcastic or derogatory fashion. I'm invested in this team. That's the great thing about being a sports fan. I've had my eyes opened to a sport that I never thought twice about. It's almost like being a little kid again because there's so much to learn (that's why there will be no critique). There was no chance of me reading the Sunday notes column in the Globe by Kevin Paul Dupont, but I'm doing it. That was the page I always skipped. BUT, this postseason has changed things. I'm not saying I'll be watching preseason games in October, but these games have given me a better understanding of the game. I could see myself watching some regular season games next season (when the Celtics are off and there's no national NBA game on). I realize the Bruins bandwagon is packed at the moment and I wouldn't dare step on any toes, but I'm walking alongside and enjoying every minute of it. Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment